The reason for my little story above, is that in my beloved handbag was my entire collection of MAC makeup that I had built up over a few years. I was devastated. And considering handbag insurance covered about 5k worth of lost items, I managed to replace my sunglasses, specs, the handbag itself and a new wallet - it didn't stretch enough to cover new make-up. Seriously, as a not-so-fun exercise, tally up the value of what is in your handbag right now. You might puke.
So there I was, starting over again. I know a few friends who have had a similar encounter and found themselves in the same position. So while you start building your collection up again slowly and beg everyone you know to buy you Edgars gift-vouchers for your birthday, I thought I'd share my drugstore favourites with you. These are all you need to create a flawless face, and a simple and classy day-to-day look. I carry all of these in my handbag now and never take my good stuff out with me. That way, if anything happens to my bag, I am not at a huge loss. In fact, you could easily carve out a portion of the 5k handbag insurance to cover these as the entire collection comes in at under R1500.
- Full Brush Set, R420 from 27Pinkx
- Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream, R159,99 from Clicks (I LOVE this stuff. Amazing coverage and colour correction and lasts all day!)
- Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer, R210 from Clicks
- Maybelline All In One Powder, R79,95 at Clicks
- Essence Get Big Lashes, R38 from Spree.co.za
- NYX The Curve, R264,99 at Clicks (This solves your liquid liner problems. Just go get it. Get two.)
- Revlon Baby Stick, R99 from Clicks (Get "Pink Passion" and use on lips and cheeks. So pretty. Limited edition product so may be hard to find.)
- Revlon Age Defying Concealer, R159 from Clicks (Covers dark spots and blemishes like a dream.)
- Maybelline Baby Lips, R25 at Clicks ( I use these during the day instead of lipstick or gloss.)